Information on Caves near Pune – Ajanta and Ellora Caves – Ellora
Place description :
- Ajanta and Ellora caves are all time famous for their vibrant architecture should be a must see in your travelogue. Usually Ajanta and Ellora are spoken in the same breath but for different reasons. While Ajanta caves are famous for their paintings, in the case of Ellora, it is sculptures dating back to the period between 350 and 700 AD. The sculptures represent Hinduism, Budhhism and Jainism, potraying the spiritual harmony. Ellora caves attract numerous tourists from all over the world and has well lived up to the distinction of being named as a World Heritage site.
- Ellora caves information tells us that they were excavated off an escarpment, on a vertical face. They consist of Buddhist chaityas where monks worship, Viharas which means monasteries, as well as Hindu and Jain temples.
- Some of the Ellora caves can be thought of as Buddhist caves due to the significance of the Viharas. There is simply something about the sanctity of the place that attracts thousands of travellers each year.
- Ajanta and Ellora caves are more than 300 km away from Pune. Ajanta Ellora Caves from Pune is really worth the distance. The basic thing we need to know about Ellora caves is that the caves are located in the heart of the Sahayadri Mountain Range near Aurangabad. The place is absolutely stunning and is bound to take every visitor back in time. The tour of the Ajanta and Ellora caves can be organised within the local area or with the help of a good agent from the city.
- Ellora caves history tells us that it is older than the Ajanta Caves by about 600 years. The caves however, still chant the history of those times. The paintings and sculpture depict the lives of the Buddha, Boddhisatvas and the Jatakas.
- Ellora caves Paintings are also world famous. They depict the life of the people, their clothes, instruments, goods, etc and reserve their place firmly in the history of time.
- Places to visit near the Ajanta and Ellora caves are Naukhanda Palace, Killa Arak, Baradari Iwaz Khan Aqueduct, Siddhi Vinayak Temple, Body Temple, Shiv Ganesh Mandir, and Durga Mata Mandir.
Places of Interest :
- Cave Paintings and sculptures mark the beauty of the caves and make it what it is. It depicts the life of the people, their instruments, textiles, hair styles, homes, etc. In fact, the sculptures and paintings gave way to a style of life in Buddhism that travelled with it in various parts of the world.
- The Shiv Mandir and the Vishwakarma Mandir near the caves are a spiritual abode for the believers and make a trip to Ajanta and Ellora even more fruitful.
- The waterfalls near the Ellora caves only add to the picturesque beauty of the area.
- The tomb of Aurangzeb is another reason to visit the region. The architecture is very beautiful.
- The Ajanta and Ellora caves are structures from hundreds of years back that have survived the test of time and are today a UNESCO protected World Heritage Site.
Distance From Pune : 299 Kms
Attraction: Ellora caves, Ajanta caves, Waterfalls, Vishwakarma Mandir, Shiv Mandir, Aurangzeb Tomb, Bhooteshwar Mandir
Restaurants: Hotel Kailas, Milan Hotel
Medical facilities near by: Kamalnayan Bajaj Hospital, Aurangabad; Apex Superspeciality Hospital, Bassayye Nagar, Aurangabad
Route description: Map will be helpful to reach Ellora from Pune :
Emergency contact : City Chowk Police Station, Gulmandi chowk, Buddi Lane, Naralibag, Aurangabad: 02402240551